True shawarma is cooked with stacked, spice-marinated meats– lamb, turkey, chicken, beef, or a mix of meats– on a vertical spit. This is an oven roasted dish, chicken shawarma style because of the delicious layers of flavor delivered by the mix of Mideastern spices. A friend shared the recipe from the New York Times on Facebook and I adapted slightly to arrive at this version. I served this with green beans, pita chips, tabouleh, and tzatziki. Wonderful!
- 2 lemons, juiced
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 4 large or 6 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts (could use boneless thighs)
- 1 large red onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or mint
Put the chicken in the oven and roast until it is browned, crisp at the edges and cooked through, about 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, allow to rest 2 minutes, then slice into bits.Scatter fresh herbs ( I used mint) over the top and serve with tomatoes, cucumbers, pita and yogurt sauce plus a vegetable of your choice.