One lovely head of green cabbage in my CSA vegetable pickup will be part of three meals here this week. I separated 10 of the large outer leaves to store in a ziplock bag for making cabbage rolls later. I cut the remaining head in half. The bottom half will go into a pot of vegetable soup next weekend. The top half I shredded and caramelized along with some sliced onion and egg noodles in this delicious dish. I served it with baked chicken but it would be a lovely side for roast pork. I adapted this recipe from one called Polish Cabbage Noodles.
- medium head shredded cabbage
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 12 – 16 ounces wide egg noodles
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Cook noodles in a in a large pot of boiling salted water.
- Meanwhile, heat butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Saute cabbage and onions until golden, tender, and caramelized.
- Drain pasta and add to cabbage and onion mixture. Toss and serve piping hot.